October may be over but it's definitely Pumpkin Season in our hearts all the way through November, or until Thanksgiving, at least. These soft and fluffy pumpkin dinner rolls would be perfect to accompany your holiday meal.
These yeast rolls are easy to put together and look beautiful with very little effort.
Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
- 1 cup whole milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Sliced pecan pieces, for the “stems”
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the cooled milk, sugar, melted butter, 1 egg, yeast, salt, and the pumpkin purée.
2. Attach the dough hook and give the ingredients a stir until well combined.
3. Gradually add the flour and knead until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. If the dough seems too sticky, add more flour one tablespoon at a time until the dough pulls away. Continue kneading for 3-5 minutes.
4. Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. Remove dough onto a floured surface and divide into 12 - 15 balls of dough. Pinch balls and roll between the palms of your hands to shape.
6. Flatten dough balls slightly; use a scissor or a sharp paring knife to cut into 8 sections, careful not to cut al the way to the center. We cut 4 sections and then cut each of those sections again.
7. Place rolls on a baking sheet and cover. Allow to rise for another 45 minutes.
8. After rising, remove cover and brush with remaining egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water.
9. Bake pumpkin rolls at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Remove rolls from the oven and place a sliced pecan in the center for the "stem."
Serve with cinnamon butter & enjoy!
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Beat butter until pale. Add honey, powdered sugar, and cinnamon and mix until smooth and combined. Serve immediately or cover and chill. Butter can be refrigerated for up to a week. Remove and allow to come to room temperature before serving.